Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Volleyball and Lacrosse

My focus athletically first semester was to make the basketball team, and I achieved this goal. This second semester, my new year's resolution was to try more new things. Apart from joining a fraternity, this mainly includes my decision to play not only club volleyball for Trinity, but also club lacrosse.

Volleyball has been great for me because it improves my basketball ability. To me, volleyball isn't an endurance sport, but rather an explosion sport. By that I mean it doesn't require the athletes to exercise at a consistent rate and tire out. It instead gives the advantage to athletes with greater abilities who can perform better in short periods of time. I also have loved playing volleyball during games and practices. It is a high energy sport that is extremely fun once you start to get the hang of it. I look forward to continueing playing for the team, and improving for my next few years at Trinity.

I also recently joined the lacrosse club team. I've only been to one practice so far but I am very familiar with the sport already. It requires everything from an athlete; focus, endurance, coordination, teamwork, physicality, and skill. Lacrosse is by far the most physical sport I've played, and it is the only sport I've had to wear full pads for (not counting a helmet in baseball or shingaurds in soccer). From my one practice, I can tell that the sport demands much more skill than I originally thought. Throwing and cathing the fast moving ball isn't a problem when just standing around, but when you too are running full speed, catching and throwing are much more difficult. Like everyother sport I've played, I too love lacrosse and look forward to improving in the near future.

So far my new years resolution has worked great for me, and I have continued to stay in excellent shape while juggling my activities; basketball, fraternity life, schoolwork, and now volleyball and lacrosse.

photo © Daniel Steger
for openphoto.net CC:Attribution-ShareAlike

No comments:

Post a Comment